How much does a 1-carat lab diamond cost? (2022)
Diamond prices vary widely depending on stone quality and where you buy it. For example, a 1-carat lab diamond can cost as little as $400 and up to $4000 depending on the diamond’s 4 Cs. However, on average, a 1-carat brilliant cut lab-grown diamond (one of the most popular carats and cuts) costs around $1000—and up to 60% more if you want a mined diamond!
Buying any diamond is a big purchase, and it is important to know how to get the best stone and where to get the best value for your money. That’s why we’ve written several guides to help our readers out.
We recommend getting started by reading our popular Guide to Buying a Lab-Grown Diamond – Top Tips to Saving and Getting a Better Diamond! and What You Need To Know Before Buying a Lab-Grown Diamond (Pros and Cons).
The essentials – the diamond 4Cs
The first thing you need to learn about diamonds is the diamond 4Cs. We have written an easy-to-read Intro to Lab-Grown Diamonds: The Diamond 4Cs that we recommend you read first. But, if you are in a hurry or just want to know how much you need to shell out for a 1-carat lab diamond, then you can skip ahead.
In short, the (lab) diamond 4Cs are:
If you need a quick diamond-buying refresher, keep these 3 things in mind:
- You first need to know that diamonds are all about the sparkle—also referred to as brilliance or fire in diamond industry lingo. The sparkle is what makes diamonds so unique. So if you just take away one thing, let it be this: Go for the best possible diamond cut grade! Do not buy a large brilliant-shaped diamond with poor brilliance. Always maximize brilliance—size comes second. (if you’re purchasing a non-brilliant diamond shape, you still want to aim for a well-cut diamond.)
- Again, it’s not only about the size of a diamond when it comes to quality. When determining the quality of a diamond, the 4Cs of diamond quality—color, cut, clarity, and carat—are always considered. So, first, aim for the best cut possible, then color and clarity grades, and carat weight last.
- If possible, go just below the popular (“round”) weights. For example, choose a 0.93ct+ instead of a diamond that’s 1.0. Avoiding round weights can save you a lot of money, and the best thing is that no one will be able to see the difference.
To give you a ballpark figure of the price of a 1-carat lab diamond, we’ve gathered prices from the best online diamond retailers in 2022. Our reference diamond is a round brilliant-cut lab-grown diamond with the following 4C grades:
- Carat weight: 1.0 (plus-minus a little)
- Cut grade: Excellent or Ideal (whichever is the best, depending on the laboratory)
- Color grade: I-J
- Clarity grade: VS1-VS2
- Shape: Round brilliant
- Origin: Lab-grown
Our reference diamond is not necessarily the best for you, but it gives a good indication of how to prioritize between the diamond 4Cs).
The average cost for a 1-carat brilliant cut lab diamond
Below are the prices for a 1-carat lab diamond from our top-rated diamond retailers. They are, in our view, the best places to buy lab-grown diamond jewelry and the best places to buy lab diamond engagement rings. They not only have the best inventory of high-quality diamonds, but they also offer the best shopping experiences and customer service. And, perhaps most importantly, they offer the very best lab-grown diamond prices!
Why choose a lab-grown diamond?
First and foremost, lab-grown diamonds are at least 30-40% cheaper than their mined counterparts with precisely the same diamond 4C grades. And during lab diamond sales, you can be lucky to save even more. We keep a close eye on the market and are the first to know when diamond retailers announce specials or sales. Sign up below to receive alerts of new deals on lab-grown diamonds.
But it’s not only lower prices that make lab-created diamonds better than mined diamonds. They are also better for the environment and have a more positive impact on society. You can learn much more about that in the following articles:
- Why lab-grown diamonds are the sustainable, environmentally, and ethical diamond choice
- What You Need To Know Before Buying a Lab-Grown Diamond
One of the best places to buy sustainable and zero-emission lab-grown diamonds is at Brilliant Earth (read our Brilliant Earth review). Another option is Vrai, but as you can read in our comparison between Brilliant Earth and Vrai, we find that Brilliant Earth is the best place for sustainable diamonds (see our review of Vrai). Pandora, too, focuses on sustainability, as you can read in our Pandora Brilliance review, but they’re still not available stateside.
Three 1-carat lab diamond ring examples
There are many different styles to choose from when searching for a diamond engagement ring. From classic styles to contemporary engagement ring settings. Scroll down for inspiration for your 1-carat lab diamond ring.
Waverly Diamond Engagement Ring
14K White Gold Sylvie Solitaire Ring
14K Yellow Gold Petite Pavé Engagement Ring (Flush Fit)
Where to buy lab-grown diamonds and jewelry
At LabGrownCarats.com, we review lab-grown diamond sellers and jewelers to help you find the best places to buy lab diamonds and jewelry. We also compare the best lab diamond jewelers in our lab diamond jeweler comparisons.
3 of our favorite places to buy a lab-grown diamond
Follow our list of current sales at the best places to buy lab-grown diamonds online, or sign up for our newsletter to be alerted of any upcoming sales and discounts.