Top 5 Best Places to Buy Lab-Grown Diamonds Online (2022)
Lab-grown diamonds offer an opportunity to not only save more than 40% on diamonds that are 100% identical to mined diamonds. They are also better for the environment and societies in being a cleaner and the only guaranteed conflict-free alternative.
To learn more about the benefits of lab-grown diamonds, read our article outlining the 3 key reasons you should choose a lab-grown diamond over a mined diamond. We also encourage you to understand the pros and cons of lab-created diamonds, as well as our intro guide to lab-grown diamonds and our easy-to-follow buying guide.
Having learned why lab-grown diamonds are far superior to mined diamonds, the next step is finding the best places to shop for them and the best lab-grown diamonds.
We review all the leading and major jewelers and sellers of lab-created diamonds. In this guide, we boil our expert reviews down to the top 5 best places to buy lab-grown diamonds online in 2022 so you can find the best lab-created diamonds at the best price.
- Summary of Top 5 Best Places to Buy Lab-Grown Diamonds Online
- What you need to know before buying a lab-grown diamond
- Lab-grown diamond engagement rings
- How to save even more on lab-grown diamonds online
- Top 5 Best Places to Buy Lab-Grown Diamonds Online in 2022
- James Allen Lab-Grown Diamonds
- Clean Origin Lab-Grown Diamonds
- Ritani Lab-Grown Diamonds
- Brilliant Earth Lab-Grown Diamonds
- With Clarity Lab-Grown Diamonds
- More lab-grown diamond seller reviews and our top-rated places to buy lab-grown diamond jewelry
Summary of Top 5 Best Places to Buy Lab-Grown Diamonds Online
If you are in a hurry and just want to jump to our review conclusions, here is a quick summary of the best lab-grown diamond jewelers. We have highlighted the pros of each of the best lab-grown diamond sellers so you can quickly see which one may be better for you.
The best buying experience
James Allen is the perfect pick if you want expert guidance throughout the buying process. James Allen’s superior customer service will help you make sure you end up with the perfect diamond at the lowest possible price. Keep reading below to learn more in the detailed review of James Allen.
- Outstanding customer service
- Independent expert gemologist guidance
- Excellent prices and high-quality diamonds
The lowest prices
Clean Origin is the best pick if you want the lowest possible price while still getting excellent customer support and guidance. Clean Origin are experts in lab-grown diamonds and will make sure you get the most value for your money. Read more in the detailed review of Clean Origin below.
- The lowest prices on lab-grown diamonds
- Extremely heplful and honest customer service
- 100-day risk-free returns
The best quality and build your own
Ritani not only has some of the absolute best prices on lab-grown diamonds. They also have the biggest inventory of diamonds and the best options for building your own jewelry, including lab-grown diamond engagement rings. Learn more in the detailed Ritani review below.
- The largest inventory of lab-grown diamonds
- The lowest and extremely transparent prices
- Best options for building your own jewelry
The best for the environment
Brilliant Earth is the best choice if environmental and ethical impact is important for you. They offer sustainably graded lab-grown diamonds, offset carbon emissions, and use recycled materials and packaging. And at very competitive prices! Learn more in the detailed review of Brilliant Earth below.
- Sustainably graded diamonds and climate-neutral
- Recycled metals and packaging materials
- Very competitive prices
The best for engagement rings
With Clarity is best known for their Home Preview, which lets you try on a very close 3D-printed replica of the rings you want – sent to your home for free! They have a large selection of jewelry and especially engagement rings. Learn more about With Clarity lab-grown diamond engagement rings below.
- Free Home Preview replica engagement rings
- Large selection of lab-grown diamond engagement rings
- Great prices and customer service
What you need to know before buying a lab-grown diamond
Before we get started, let’s revisit some of the lab-grown diamond basics. These do not differ from the diamond basics since lab-created diamonds are exactly the same as mined (the process of getting them into your hands is just better).
If you shop at any of our recommended places to buy lab-grown diamonds online, you generally should not worry and will be making a great deal. Especially if you avail of their excellent service and guidance. However, it pays off to prepare yourself.
The first thing you need to know is the diamond 4Cs. These are cut, color, clarity, and carat. They are the key characteristics that diamonds are evaluated by and what you should look for when shopping for a lab-created diamond. Let’s go through each of them.
The most important thing you need to know is that diamonds are all about brilliance, another word for how diamonds sparkle. This is what makes diamonds special. Diamonds sparkle when they reflect light. The reason the emission is so unique is the complex way that diamonds are cut.
You can learn more in our in-depth article about lab-grown diamond cuts, but suffice to say that the diamond cut is by far the most essential aspect when determining the quality of a diamond. Diamond cut is graded by independent institutes such as GIA and IGI, who provide diamond certificates.
What you should look for are diamonds with either excellent or ideal cut (some grading institutes uses “excellent” as the highest grade, others like IGI use “ideal”). Always go for the highest grade. It’s that simple.
Clarity tells you if there are any inclusions or blemishes in the stone. Simplified, these are imperfections in the stone. However, most are so small that the naked eye cannot see them. The problem is when they are too large or placed in an adverse spot, impacting light reflection. The only way to tell is by studying high-quality images and videos. This is something the best diamond sellers offer, and you should only shop at jewelers where you can properly inspect the diamond (all our top 5 best places to buy lab-grown diamonds do that).
We recommend clarity grades from VS1 to S2. Do not go below S2, and if in doubt, stay closer to the VS grades. Learn more about lab-grown diamond clarity in our detailed article.
The same is the case for diamond color. Diamond color is actually the absence of color. White diamonds should be just that. However, most diamonds have a slightly yellow or brownish tint. And that’s fine. Like the small imperfections, you will not be able to see it as long as you pick a decent color grade. As the case was with diamond clarity, you want to avoid a tint so strong that it detracts from the sparkle and beauty of the diamond.
In most cases, it does not. But you want to make sure you can inspect the diamond thoroughly to avoid any surprises. As the case was with the diamond clarity, study the images and videos (the best places to buy lab-grown diamonds all offer that).
Aim for a color grade between I and J. This is more than sufficient, and you can save a lot by downgrading. Spend the saving on selecting a better diamond cut. If you set the stone in a golden setting, you can consider going to K grades too. Learn more in our guide to lab-grown diamond colors.
This is undoubtedly the best known of the 4Cs. Many people mistake carat for size, but it’s actually a measure of weight. 1 diamond carat is equal to 0.007 ounces or 0.2 grams. But carat sounds more impressive. When it comes to diamond carats, you need to know the following:
- Two diamonds carrying the same weight (carat) may appear very different. This is because you only see the surface of the diamond. Much like an iceberg. However, having a large surface is not neccesrily desireable. As mentioned, the light-emitting qualities are what matter and these have to be just right. That requires an exact surface-to-depth ratio.
- This leads us to the second point. A lighter (“smaller”) diamond may appear much bigger than a larger if the diamond cut is better. That is because the perceived size of a diamond depends more on the brilliance than the actual size. Which in turn depends on the quality of the cut.
In short, prioritize cut over carat weight. First, choose an excellent or ideal cut, then pick suitable ranges of clarity and color grades, and lastly, see what carats falls within your budget. This way, carat is the only variable that should impact cost – all others you should not compromise on. Read more about lab-grown diamond carats in our detailed article.
Lab-grown diamond engagement rings
If you’re shopping for an engagement ring, we recommend that you look for a lab-grown diamond engagement ring to get much more for your money. Read our below guides to help you through the complicated process of buying a lab-grown diamond engagement ring online:
- How to Buy a Lab-Grown Diamond Engagement Ring Online
- The 5 Best Places to Buy Lab-Grown Diamond Engagement Rings
- What you need to know before buying a lab-grown diamond engagement ring
- Tips to buying a lab-grown diamond engagement ring at James Allen
- Best sales on lab-grown diamond engagement rings
How to save even more on lab-grown diamonds online
The best places to buy lab-grown diamonds online sometimes run sales allowing you to save even more! Follow our list of current sales at the best places to buy lab-grown diamonds online.
Top 5 Best Places to Buy Lab-Grown Diamonds Online in 2022
Having learned what to look for when shopping for diamonds, we are ready to dive into the top 5 best places to buy lab-grown diamonds. All our top 5 recommended jewelers allow you to properly inspect and choose the perfect diamond or diamonds for your jewelry purchase. And all of them offer excellent customer service, dedicated gemologist support, and, importantly, the lowest prices on the market.
More lab-grown diamond seller reviews and our top-rated places to buy lab-grown diamond jewelry
To help you find the perfect lab-grown diamond engagement ring, read more of our lab-grown diamond seller reviews.